Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gluten Free Brown Sugar Banana Bread

I have a tendency to either not buy enough or way too many bananas.  Somehow we can't get into the groove with these delicious little fruits.  Personally, I like them when the tips are green, but the center is yellow.  Not a freckle to be seen.  My husband used to tease me, saying I was going to be poisoned.  He favors a "perfectly ripe banana," with abundant freckling and a sweet inner fruit.  (Blech!  Mush!)

Either way, we've missed the mark on both our preferences.  And, while the kids will eat bananas in any way, shape, or form, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to bake some banana bread.  If you wait until the next day to slice them, they become a bit easier to cut thin.  Add a smear of peanut butter and you have a great lunch sandwich.


2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
a few grates of fresh nutmeg
2 eggs or egg replacer
about 4 large, ripe bananas
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of oil (or unsweetened apple sauce)

Mix it.  Do we need directions for this part?  My kids just dump it all in a bowl and turn on the kitchenaid.  It's that easy.  Nothing to sort or sift or any of that nonsense.  One bowl.  Mix.  Done.

I have two great loaf pans, probably from Target, that are wicked heavy.  I spray them with nonstick cooking spray ahead of time (Trader Joe's) and divide the batter in half.

Bake at 350° for around 40 minutes.


Flip them out onto a cooling rack and try to not eat the whole loaf before it cools, I dare you.



No comments:

Post a Comment