Monday, August 1, 2011

Gluten Free Peach Spoonbread

Over a decade ago, I was given a recipe for peach cobbler.  And while I know that cobblers are generally interpreted in many ways, I've come to realize that this is not a cobbler.  Some people seem to think a cobbler is an upside-down pie.  I'm a believer in sweet biscuity dough with cooked fruit. Either way, this batter is more of a pancake than a biscuit.  So, after a brief conversation last night, I've declared this a spoonbread.

"Spoonbread or Spoon Bread is a pudding-like bread generally eaten with a spoon or fork."  That sounds right to me.  Yes, I realize it's usually cornbread or corn meal.  But, it's the best I've got, so bear with me.

1 stick of butter (or earth balance equivalent, as seen here)

Fruit:
3 cups of peeled, sliced peaches
1 cup of sugar

Combine in a bowl and set aside.  This is "macerating" your fruit.



Batter:
1 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4ths of a cup of milk (soy, coconut, almond, dairy, all work)

Whisk until smooth.




Preheat the oven to 350°.  The original recipe called for a dutch oven.  To be honest, I think a cast iron skillet is the way to go here, but mine was donated last year.  

So, I went with a stoneware 9x13 and doubled the recipe.

When the oven is hot, place the butter or margarine in your pan and set it back into the oven until melted.

Remove the hot pan from the oven (carefully!) and slowly pour the batter into the preheated pan.

Now gently spoon the peaches (and their juice) atop the batter.



Return to the oven and bake for about an hour.  

Mine took about an hour and a half because it was doubled.

Serve when the edges are golden brown and crispy.  


I highly recommend frozen custard, if you can find it.  Otherwise, vanilla ice cream will do.    

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this recipe! I usually buy a mix that bakes up like this, and haven't found a recipe that works out the same way. I prefer to bake with natural ingredients, so I'm excited to try this.

    ReplyDelete